Creamy Asparagus Pasta
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut into ¾-inch pieces
- 1½ cups milk
- 4 teaspoons mustard
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon lemon pepper
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoons minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook till almost done about 9 mins. Add asparagus and continue cooking until the pasta and asparagus are just tender. Drain and return to the pot.
- Whisk milk, mustard, cornstarch, salt and lemon pepper in a medium bowl. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for about a minute or two. Whisk in the milk mixture. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly, and cook until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in tarragon, lemon zest and juice.
- Stir the sauce into the pasta-asparagus mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until the sauce is thick, creamy and coats the pasta, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in ¼ cup Parmesan. Divide the pasta among 4 bowls and top with the remaining ¼ cup Parmesan.
Got this recipe from a friend online. Made it tonight. It is so delicious.